Motogadget M-Unit Basic, M-Unit Cable Kit, and m-Button Combo
Combo Includes: M-Unit Basic, M-Unit Cable Kit & M-Button
**The m.unit Basic is the same as the m.unit Blue without any of the Bluetooth capabilities and functions. The only physical difference between them is the m.unit Basic will come with a red serial number sticker while the m.unit Blue will come with a silver serial number sticker.
If you wish to use any of the Bluetooth capabilities please message us and we will link you to an m-unit blue in our store to purchase!**
The new m.unit basic/blue is an improved version of the tried and true m-unit by undergoing significant development and improvements. It is now equipped with 12 inputs and 10 outputs, replaceable high-quality cable clamps and, most notably, Bluetooth® LE. This enables the m.unit blue to be connected to our ‘m.ride’ smartphone App. This feature is unique for motorcycle accessories.
The m.ride App manages the entire setup and alarm system. Fault diagnostics can also be performed during operation and without having to remove the m.unit. The secure, encrypted Keyless Go function can also be used.
When this function is activated and you approach your bike with your smartphone, the on-board electrical system is activated and the bike is ready to be started.
The m.unit blue is the digital control unit for your bike – the heart of the entire on-board electrical system. It can be operated using buttons or using conventional handlebar switches. It controls all necessary components on the vehicle while also performing fuse functions.
There are considerably fewer relays and individual components in the wiring harness and the vehicle can be rewired with less effort in a very short amount of time.
When using the m.button, all switch connections are reduced to one single cable.
Features WITHOUT smartphone and m.ride App
- Complete digital control using buttons possible with 4 or 5-button operation.
- Complete replacement for the fuse box. 10 independent circuits are digitally monitored and switched off if there are faults. After the fault is rectified, the safety function is automatically reset.
- Integrated alarm system that can be installed in any position.
- Integrated, digital flasher relay that is load-independent; automatic switch-off optional and can be set; m.wave mode can be selected.
- Integrated hazard warning light.
- Turn signal can optionally be set as a positioning light.
- Integrated parking light and Hi-beam flashing.
- Lo-beam and Hi-beam (up to 200 W switched capacity) can be controlled using only one button.
- Integrated, digital brake light modulator; flashing mode can be programmed.
- Acceleration-controlled emergency brake light (automatic warning signal).
- Integrated starter relay for the starter system with solenoid (up to 30 A switched capacity).
- Intelligent and configurable management/switch-off of power consuming devices so that the maximum starting energy from the battery can be used when starting the bike.
- Integrated, digital horn relay.
- Two configurable additional outputs AUX1 and AUX2.
- Diagnostics function for assigning inputs, outputs, the circuit switching status, short circuit diagnostics etc.
- Current measurement enables faults to be detected on all lights suchs as headlights, turn signals, brake lights etc.
Features WITH smartphone and m.ride App
- Encrypted connection via Bluetooth® LE (Low Energy) for manipulation protection and lower smartphone and m.unit blue energy usage.
- Keyless Go (the on-board electrical system is switched on when you approach the bike with your smartphone).
- Alarm events are sent via Bluetooth® to the App (with date, time, vehicle on the floor etc.).
- Alarm system mode and sensitivity can be adjusted.
- The on board voltage can be monitored in the App.
- Diagnostics on all inputs and outputs; current, voltage and device temperature measurement.
- Real-time audio fault messages issued via the helmet headset.
- Outputs can be switched manually via smartphone (except for starter).
- Firmware updates provided anywhere via smartphone and App without removal.
- Setup menu can be configured anywhere via smartphone and App without removal.
- Speedometer input for comparing the vehicle mileage with m.ride can be used for vehicle management with automatic alerts for maintenance tasks, the condition of the tires, chain, brake pads, oil, operating fluids, spark plugs etc.
- Logbook for recording journeys and displaying the vehicle status, alarm events and maintenance tasks.
- Parking position display and Ping! for help locating the vehicle.
- LIN bus connection for connecting to compatible motogadget products at a later date.
The m.ride App is now available for Android (from version 6.0) and for iOS (from iPhone 5) coming soon. The modern Bluetooth® LE is used to couple the m.unit blue with the smartphone. This requires certain requirements for the smartphone’s hardware.
The following Android models are currently compatible (we are working on to make more phones compatible):
- Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge
- Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge
- Samsung Galaxy S5/S5 Neo
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4
- Samsung Galaxy Note 5
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 10.5
- Google Pixel/ Pixel XL
- Google Nexus 5
- Google Nexus 5X
- LG G4
- LG G5
- Sony Experia Z3 Compact
Scope of Supply
- m.unit basic
- Approx. 500 mm (20″) connecting cable for battery positive terminal with 10 mm² (7 Gauge) cross section
- 2 cable eyes
- 1 x M5 stainless steel bolt
- 2 x M5 stainless steel bolts with hex nuts
- 1 x speed sensor with 2 magnets
- Detailed installation and operating instructions
- m-cable kit
Dimensions and specifications
L/W/H: 101 x 61 x 28 mm (4″ x 2.4″ x 1.1″)
Weight: approx. 180 g
Mounting: 2 x M5 screws, stainless steel (mounting and ground terminal), 1 x M5 screw-on terminal for battery positive
Operating voltage: 6V – 20V
Operating temperature: -20 °C… +80 °C
1 x input (+12V switched) for ignition lock or m-Lock
11 x control pilot inputs (minus/ground, switched) for left turn signal, right turn signal, low beam/high beam, starter, horn, brake light, kill switch, kick stand switch, LIN-Bus, AUX1 and AUX2
10 x Outputs (+12V) for left turn signal, right turn signal, Lo-beam, Hi-beam, starter, horn, brake light, ignition, AUX1 and AUX2
Another innovation from motogadget: the m-Button.
It’s a big help – in combination with the new m-Unit blue/basic – in reducing ‘cable clutter’ and simplifying wiring harnesses.
Integrated into the handlebar tube – or any other adequate location – this tiny cylinder will electrically connect all handlebar instruments, switches and buttons.
Using state-of-the-art bus technology, the m-Button digitally processes signals and transmits them to the m-Unit V.2 over a thin cable.
The electrical consumers will then be switched inside the m-Unit.
All control wires are moved into the handlebar. This saves space, weight, labour and time. A ‘must have’ for custom bikes with clean-look handlebars.
In simple facts:
a) normally, the operating current (e.g. headlight or turn signals) is transmitted directly via the wiring of the handlebar switches. Due to the high currents, cables with large cross-sections have to be routed from the fuse box to the switch and back to the electrical consumer.
The result: big cable bundles. Definitely, a ‘no go’ for custom bikes with restricted space or a concealed electrical system.
b) using the m-Unit without the m-Button, just a thin cable for each switch- or button-controlled feature has to be routed to the m-Unit. These cables only carry minute control currents. All high loads and currents are switched directly at the m-Unit and transmitted directly to the electrical consumers. This already leads to a significant reduction and simplification of the wiring harness. Here you can see the example of a circuit diagram.
c) using the m-Unit blue/basic in combination with the tiny m-Button, you will once again reduce the amount of cables that have to be routed! All switches/buttons on the handlebar are connected at the shortest distance possible and concealed inside the handlebar. Consequently, you will have to route only ONE thin cable from the m-Button to the m-Unit. All loads and currents will be switched directly at the m-Unit blue/basic (see explanations above). A layout reduced to the max! Here you can see the example of a circuit diagram with use of m-Button.
The m-Button is completely moulded in, making it water-tight and resistant to vibrations.
The m-Button is equipped with connections for
– turn signal, left side
– turn signal, right side
– headlight (low beam and high beam)
– brake light switch, front brake
Diameter: 12 mm
Length: 25 mm
Cable length: approx. 60 cm
Connecting cable to m-Unit: approx. 200 cm
Weight: approx. 30 g
Attention: The only intended use of the m-Button is in combination with m-Unit.